Saturday, November 16, 2013

DAY OF DAYS 2013 INTERVIEW with WALLY KURTH


THE DAY OF DAYS 2013 INTERVIEWS WITH ALL OF THE CAST MEMBERS CAN BE HEARD HERE:  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/outtakes/2013/11/12/outtakes-at-day-of-days-2013

Wally Kurth (Justin Kiriakis, DAYS OF OUR LIVES) -- November 9th, 2013


OUTTAKES:  How have you been feeling playing Justin in this situation where you’re an attorney working for a crazy Dimera, always having to get EJ and Sami out of these scrapes?  

WK:  I loved the whole trial storyline and working with EJ, bringing Stefano down.  It was really just the greatest year ever.  It’s been so much fun being the smart conniving strong charming character that he is.  A businessman.  You don’t get to see him in that business mode very often; and yes, it was really fun to step into that storyline.  It was great.  And it was so much fun working with James and Ali…which is interesting because I never really worked with either one of them.  The writers really wrote great stuff for them; and it was just a really fun story.  I thought that the writers did a great job with the story.  I thought that it was really executed brilliantly; and I was on the edge of my seat when I read it.  I couldn’t wait to get into the script and see what I was going to do next.


OUTTAKES:  We’re also seeing Justin and Adrienne at odds.  Adrienne disapproving of what Justin is doing; and Justin disapproving of what Adrienne is doing.  We’re seeing some trouble in paradise.  In the 1980s, I loved Justin and Adrienne when they first got together.  People are still rooting for this couple to find their way to resolve their differences.  What is it about the couple of Justin and Adrienne that viewers like?

WK:  Oh, my gosh.  I wish I knew because honestly I can only assume that it is just Judi and I being together…and Judi being Judi, and me trying to be Wally.  And then they write this storyline for us; and we just jump in there with both feet and go for it.  I also think what is interesting is that you saw these young people…well, we were younger 20 years ago, 25 years ago…just getting started in this business.  In Salem.  Cut 20 years later, and here we are back together…and to see us still pretty good and with our grown children.  We have this maturity about ourselves and our life.  I know from an audience standpoint I like it when I watch it.  I’m like “Oh, now there’s Justin and Adrienne; and now they’re older.  They’re a mature couple; and they have a son.  And they’re dealing with issues that we’re all dealing with.”  Because a lot of fans saw us at that age 20 years ago when they were in high school or college; and 20 years later, they are now married with children.  And hopefully they can relate to us now just like they did back then.  And that’s the cool part.  That’s the cool part about soaps.  You don’t get that history.  You don’t get that longevity.  You don’t get that breadth.  That scope of a lifetime.  That’s the miracle of a soap.

OUTTAKES:  You also have the added storyline with what’s going on with Will and Sonny.  Dealing with Sonny coming out and all of the ramifications of that and him dealing with Will.  How has that storyline been as a parent?

WK:  It’s been great; and you know rightfully so.  Rejecting my son because he’s gay would be like rejecting my son for having brown eyes.  That’s what Justin said; and that’s exactly how he sees it.  Getting beyond that, now it’s about…is he being honored in that relationship?  And is Will a good fit for him?  I just look at it as if they were a heterosexual couple.  That’s how I would do it in real life.  And looking out for the best interest of my son, guiding my son like a parent would.  Once again, I think the writers have done a brilliant job of just expressing the concerns that a parent would have whether it be a heterosexual son or a homosexual son.  I think that’s really key and important.  From an acting standpoint, it’s lovely because I’ve never dealt with that.

OUTTAKES:  I’m not only a fan of yours as an actor but also as a musician.  Any more Kurth and Taylor concerts coming up?

WK:  Thank you!  Nothing right now.  We’re actually working on a new song.  I think what we’ll try to do…once we finish it, we’ll definitely get it out there, maybe do a video.  With Twitter and everything else, we’ll be able to get it out there to a few thousand people; and that’ll be pretty cool for people to see it and Facebook it and get a response.  That should be pretty sweet.  That’ll be fun.  In this new world of social media.  It used to be…OK, let’s make the CD, let’s make 10 songs.  We’ll press the CD.  We’ll put them in a suitcase and take them to our next concert.  Now we don’t need to do a concert.  We don’t even have to have a CD.  We just need to record the song and download it on iTunes.  You can go to YouTube and watch it.  We haven’t even done that yet because we haven’t had a new song for a couple of years.  But that’ll be fun.  That’ll be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment